Weekly Briefing of Queer Action Against COVID-19 (as of 5. 16.)
|1||Organizational status of Queer Action Against COVID-19|
- <Queer Action Against COVID-19> currently consists of a total of 20 organizations.
GongGam Human Rights Law Foundation, Korean Lawyers for Public Interest and Human Rights (KLPH),’ DAWOOM: Together4Change (LGBTI Human Rights Organization of Youth Generation in S.Korea), QUV; Solidarity of University and Youth Queer Societies in Korea, Jogye Order of Korean Buddhism The Social Affairs and Labor Relations Commission, Queer In Pusan, Seoul Queer Culture Festival Organizing committee(SQCFORG), SHARE, center for Sexual rigHts And Reproductive justice, Collective for Sexual Minority Cultures PINKS, Unninetwork, Lesbian Human Rights Group ‘Byunnal’ of Ewha Womans University, Sexual Minority Committee of the Justice Party, LGBTQ Youth Crisis Support Center DDing Dong, Korean Transgender Rights Organization JOGAKBO, Transgender Liberation Front, Korean Gay Men’s Human Rights Group ‘Chingusai’, Korean Sexual-Minority Culture and Rights Center(KSCRC), Youth PLHIV Community of Korea ‘R’, Solidarity for LGBT Human Rights of Korea, Solidarity for HIV/AIDS Human Rights Nanuri+
(total 20 organizations as of May 16)
- <Queer Action Against COVID-19> set up a control office. Now it inspects the relevant situations every day and conducts practical affairs.
|2||Consultation and Response on Human Rights Violations|
- <Queer Action Against COVID-19> operates counseling counters for each organization. Each organization shares major counseling cases through the control office and links them to public institutions if necessary.
- counseling counters
Korean Gay Men’s Human Rights Group ‘Chingusai’
(+82)2-745-7942 (a.m. 09:00-p.m. 06:00)
Solidarity for LGBT Human Rights of Korea
(+82)2-715-9984 (p.m. 1:00-8:00)
Youth PLHIV Community of Korea ‘R’
(+82)10-2164-1201 (a.m 11:00-p.m. 07:00 /closed on Mondays)
LGBTQ Youth Crisis Support Center DDing Dong
(+82)2-924-1227 (a.m 11:00-p.m. 09:00 / closed on Sundays and Mondays )
- So far, there have been about 90 consultations, and the main contents are △ anxiety and difficulties due to self-quarantine, concerns about ‘outing’(situations of arbitrary exposure of one’s sexual orientation) at workplaces, and human rights violations during the screening process.
|3||Promotions for queer communities|
- <Queer Action Against COVID-19> is distributing online banners to online queer communities to encourage self-directed testing, guidance on human rights violations, and advertisements containing information related to testing.
-Banner ads are being distributed to web pages and mobile applications (a total of 6) that are mostly used by queers.
-It will also be promoted through the website and social media of each organization belonging to the <Queer Action Against COVID-19>.
-It will also be distributed to foreigners (English, Japanese, Chinese)
- It is currently producing the homepage of the <Queer Action Against COVID-19>, provides campaign information and FAQ related to Corona19, and operates the consultation board.
|4||communication with quarantine authorities|
- Currently, we have a meeting with the Seoul Metropolitan Government and the Gyeonggi provincial government. It is also in the process of interviewing Incheon Metropolitan City.
[Seoul Metropolitan Government]
– Date : May 11th
– <Queer Action Against COVID-19> complained about situations that some testing offices asked to visitors if they HIV infected or not. So the Seoul Metropolitan Government issued guidelines for correction.
– <Queer Action Against COVID-19> asked the Seoul Metropolitan Government to continuously send official documents to each local government to prevent excessive information about confirmed cases in disaster alerts .
-<Queer Action Against COVID-19> asked the Seoul Metropolitan Government to emphasis information about anonymous inspection and personal information protection in disaster alerts .
-<Queer Action Against COVID-19> asked the Seoul Metropolitan Government to establish and to operate a hotline for counseling on human rights violations so that the authority can promptly investigate and correct problems through mutual cooperation with the <Queer Action Against COVID-19>.
[Gyeonggi Provincial Government]
– Date : May 15th
-<Queer Action Against COVID-19> asked the Gyeonggi Provincial Government to send guidelines to prevent unnecessary questions, such as sexual orientation and HIV infection, and to send official letters to local governments not to include excessive information in disaster alerts.
-<Queer Action Against COVID-19> will share cases of human rights violations with Gyeonggi-do Human Rights Center, etc.
-<Queer Action Against COVID-19> asked the Gyeonggi Provincial Government to include anti-discrimination messages in their media briefing to prevent human rights violations.
- Consultations are also coming in regarding foreign instructors and migrant workers. So the <Queer Action Against COVID-19> will contribute messages written in multiple languages.
- Human rights violations, such as harassment and pressure to leave the company, may occur when returning to work after two weeks of self- In this regard, the <Queer Action Against COVID-19> will require to the governments to send a message to prevent human rights violations, and will respond in the event of actual violations.
- <Queer Action Against COVID-19> are going to respond more actively with media organizations to the press, which continues to make malicious reports.